The BAI2 file format was developed by the Bank Administration Institute (BAI) as a cash management reporting standard for the exchange of data. Within the format are three digit type codes that are either Status, Summary or Detail data. Types of bank codes relevant for Cashbook include:
- 01 File Header marks the beginning of a file. It identifies the sender and receiver of the transmission and describes the structure of the file.
- 02 Group Header identifies a group of accounts that are from the same originator and includes the same as-of-date and as-of-time.
- 03 Account Identifier and Summary Status identifies the account number and reports activity summary and account status information.
- 16 Transaction Detail is used for transmission of detailed transaction information.
- 88 Continuation is used when data exceeds the maximum physical record length, or whenever it is desirable to continue data into an additional record.
- 98 Group Trailer provides group control totals.
- 99 File Trailer provides file control totals.